A dedicated tax service for foster carers.

Preferred tax advisor to FosterTalk.

What we do

We are Intellect Tax Services and we specialise in tax and state benefits for foster carers.

Tax for foster carers

When you use Intellect Tax Services, you simply complete our straight-forward questionnaire and we do the rest.

Find out more
National Insurance

Anyone who is self-employed and earning over a certain amount has to pay National Insurance. Here at Intellect we take care of everything for you.

Find out more
Benefits and tax credits

We aim to simplify the process of managing your finances, and make sure you receive what you are entitled to as a valued foster carer.

Find out more
Tax for non-foster carers

Our team are qualified to prepare personal tax returns or deal with personal tax matters.

Find out more

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I’m a foster carer…what benefits am I entitled to claim?

A. Many carers have problems making claims to the relevant agencies and are misinformed about their eligibility to benefits – we can help you resolve these issues.

Unfortunately there simply is not a “one size fits all” answer to this question but we would encourage you to call us and discuss your situation.

Q. I’ve received a Class 2 National Insurance bill. Do I have to pay it?

A. Class 2 National Insurance has been charged because you are registered with HMRC as a self-employed foster carer. All self-employed individuals between 16 years and state pension age are potentially liable to pay Class 2 NICS, unless you are entitled to claim small earnings exception because you have low profits from self-employment (below £5,965 in 2015-16).

Q. What records do I need to keep as a foster carer for tax purposes?

A. As a registered foster carer, you are required to keep the following records in order to calculate your profits from fostering and complete your tax return: Records of your total fostering income, the dates the placements arrive and leave, their dates of birth, and records for any exceptionally large or unusual expenditure which might occur if you are a specialist foster carer.