Fostering Tax Credits and Benefits Guidance
The state benefits system and legislation is complex and something that is constantly changing.
In our experience, we find that many foster carers are not receiving the full range of benefits they are entitled to. There are special rules and entitlements that apply to foster carers, which government agencies are not always aware of, and that foster carers often don’t realise apply to them either.
In one case, we helped a foster carer obtain an additional £900 per month by following our advice.
How we can help
If we prepare a tax return for you, you will be entitled to a free benefits health check.
This will look into whether you are entitled to:
- Foster Care Income support
- Working Tax Credits For Carers
- Job Seekers Allowance For Foster Carers
- Housing Benefits For Carers
- Council Tax Relief For Foster Carers
- Foster Carers Allowance
- Universal Credit For Carers
For many benefits, income from fostering is not taken into account, which means that you may well qualify for more than you might think. The same rules apply regardless of whether you foster with a local authority or an Independent Fostering Agency.
Once we’ve completed the benefits health check, we can:
- Advise you on potential entitlements
- Help you with correspondence from HMRC and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Provide copies of relevant legislation in writing
Our aim is to simplify the process of managing your finances and make sure you receive what you are entitled to.
For assistance with Foster Care Tax, call us on 0121 794 2289.